The Hotel Utah, a ten-story glittering white palace renowned for elegance and extraordinary service, was christened to the world as the Hotel Utah on June 9th, 1911. Construction had begun two years prior and was overseen by the Parkinson and Bergstron architecture firm. As many as 550 men worked on site each day during construction. The hotel’s distinctive interior was clad in granite and porcelain glazed pure-white terra-cotta. An ornate white dome in the shape of a beehive, the state’s symbol of cooperative industry, crowned the regal Italian influenced structure.
The Hotel Utah Photograph and Manuscript collections (P0283 and Ms0469) were donated to the J. Willard Marriott Library in 1985 and are housed in the Special Collections department. The public is welcome to visit Special Collections on the fourth floor of the J. Willard Marriott Library to see the physical collection of photographs, menus, china and other interesting items. A collection of 2,000 photographs and manuscripts highlighting the Hotel Utah’s distinguished history are available online at http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/az_details.php?id=95 .
Read more here in the Salt Lake Tribune coverage of the anniversary.
Photo used with permission of Special Collections, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah.
J. Willard Marriott Library Contacts:
Krissy Giacoletto, Assistant Photograph Archivist – 801-585-3073; firstname.lastname@example.org
Roy Webb, Multimedia Archivist – 801-585-6200; email@example.com
Heidi Brett, Public Relations Specialist – 801-661-6764; Heidi.firstname.lastname@example.org